Brian Rohrbough is an Idiot

Brian Rohrbough is an idiot. He got up on CBS news tonight and blamed school violence on evolution:

This country is in a moral free-fall. For over two generations, the public school system has taught in a moral vacuum, expelling God from the school and from the government, replacing him with evolution, where the strong kill the weak, without moral consequences and life has no inherent value.

Only a crazy man, divorced from reality can say such things.

The public school system is not a moral vacuum. Teachers, administrators, and students all have their own morals which they freely share with their peers. God is still well in schools, and will be as long as religious people are in public schools. Only a person who does not spend enough time working with their children’s public school, would think that school is a God free zone. Between bible clubs, fellowships, and prayer circles students have a wide range of opportunities to be pious in school. And that is only in schools that behave constitutionally. If the rate of reported violations of the establishment clause is any guide, a large proportion of public schools have no trouble forcing religion on pupils.

Because of the bible-thumping politics of idiots like Brian Rohrbough, very few schools actually teach evolution in the US. Even when evolution is in state standards, teachers and administrators often find ways to ignore it. Some do it because they actively oppose evolution, others because they don’t want to lose their jobs. For the most part, the public school system teaches in an evolution vacuum. Its like teaching chemistry without atomic theory, but schools do it because that is the way thugs like Brian Rohrbough want it.

Evolution is not about the strong killing the weak. It is about the fertile out breeding the infertile. A seventeen year-old in a murder/suicide is not going to get lucky at the senior prom, despite what Weekend at Bernie’s says. In that sense, I would argue that evolution gives a wonderful value to life: children and grandchildren.

Pundits love to complain about evolutionary theory being godless and lacking morals, but they never seem to have issues with the godlessness of atomic theory. The explanation for the diversity of life no more devalues life than the explanation for the diversity of chemical reactions.

Science explains the world; it doesn’t provide a guide for living your life.—Parents do that.

But I guess if you are the type of parent who expects biology class to be the moral guide to your children, then you are too stupid to realize who is actually to blame for them being so screwed up.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://scit.us/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/796.
Sent by Y.A.C.R.W.B on October 4, 2006 8:28 PM

The Brian Rohrbough issue has me thinking about the numbers. Are there more liberals than conservatives, more left that right? Are we really in a world where the an utterance against abortion and the admonition of the Godlessness of our schools is real... [Read More]

Posted by mridgway on October 3, 2006 2:04 PM

Well said, my son. I suppose I did do a great job raising you….

Love, MOM

Posted by jim on October 3, 2006 2:22 PM

Sigh. Clearly the Brian has an agenda and is blabbing it. It doesn’t matter (to him) that his argument is full of non-sequitors. As long as he gets on TV he is happy. Unfortunately, people haven’t learned to filter TV, internet etc. to understand that this is an example of hyperbole.

Posted by dan on October 3, 2006 4:05 PM

..a father of a columbine victim? WHy should I care what his views on ‘morality’ are? & why does he get the mike on ‘science’? Shame on CBS!

I’m doing my part though raising good atheists & promoting science-literacy whenever I can!

Posted by Mark on October 3, 2006 5:04 PM

As an aspiring teacher in training, I thank you for your insightful comments and support of education.

Posted by Jim Harrison on October 3, 2006 6:48 PM

I’m reminded of the Yale prof who was badly injured by the Unibomber. He made the rounds of the talk shows denouncing the moral relativism of the age even though nobody on the planet was more of a moral absolutist than the Unibomber himself whose ideology had a decidedly dogmatic cast.

The rule seems to be, round up the usual suspects.

Posted by Ichthyic on October 3, 2006 9:31 PM

I see many folks like “Brain” repeatedly attach the accusation of “liberalism” and “Darwinism” to the insane behavior of folks like the perpetrator of the Ahmish school shooting, and then I see the words of the actual perpetrator, who claimed he was “angry at god” for taking his premature daughter.

so, uh, if this person never believed in god to begin with, would he have felt so betrayed, i wonder?

What i see are a lot of psychological breaks caused by belief in something that doesn’t exist, and having to deal with the resultant letdown when faced with some personal trauma.

some folks apparently deal with it better than others.

Posted by Steven on October 4, 2006 7:24 AM

That guy is a total cretin. I am sorry his son was shot but blaming it on lack of god in school and evolution is just plain idiotic. The guy is a moronic buffoon of the highest calibre.

-Steven

Posted by Doug on October 4, 2006 8:14 PM

He was on O’Reilly tonight saying he son was killed because of evolution (being taught?).

O’Reilly then blamed the far left for something, and claimed millions of Americans shared his view.

Posted by Barbara on October 4, 2006 8:36 PM

You people obviously are very uninformed….let alone deprived of anything intellectually stimulating or morally correct. You even distort what was said on O’Reilly. No one, especially Mr. Rohrbough said his son was killed because of evolution. Thank GOD we have people like him. But I guess if you are listening to O’Reilly you might be grasping for the truth and maybe someday you will grow up. Hey, you might even tune into RUSH. You are obviously very very naive.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 4, 2006 9:00 PM

Huh, from the trackback, it looks like one of the anti-liberty posters at StopTheACLU thinks I’m a “liberal”. As we say in Georgia, “dems fightin’ words”.

Hint: I’m a moderate libertarian with no party affiliation.

Posted by marya on October 4, 2006 10:27 PM

You’ve completely missed the point. All of you who embrace freedom of speech and so-called “diversity” are such hypocrits. This man was right on target and he’s not blaming evolution.

Ask yourself why are questionaires handed out in grade school that ask,” Have you ever had feelings for someone of the same sex? What the hell does that have to do with getting educated? “Here kids, here’s the proper way to put a condom on a banana.’

We are not all alike, there is a right and wrong, there is good and bad.. contrary to the Leftist moral relativist nihilism that permeates our school system. Stop putting words in his mouth and slamming a man who lost his son in a brutal murder. He speaks for the majority of America DESPITE what you choose to believe.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 4, 2006 10:44 PM

Marya,

I agree that there is a right and wrong, which is how I know that Brian Rohrbough is completely wrong. He is wrong about evolution, and he is wrong about education. When a man gets up on national television and accuses people like me of being responsible for the death of his son, I’m going to call it like I see it. Rohrbough has the right to say what he believes, but I also have the right to call him stupid for it, and you have the right to call me stupid in return.

Just about every second member of my family is a Christian educator in public schools, which includes both teachers and administrators. One thing I know from their experiences is that public schools are not permeated by a “Leftist moral relativist nihilism”. Public schools are run by religious people and serve religious people. And this will continue as long as America continues to be a religious nation.

Posted by Tom Molloy on October 4, 2006 11:17 PM

Brian Rohrbough was right on in his comments on CBS and O’Reilly. The threat to the US today is not the terrorists but the secular progressive far left, who are morally bankrupt and without values.

Posted by Tiffany on October 5, 2006 12:20 AM

You know what would have been more relevant and interesting to hear him talk about in his video blurb instead of the moral state of our schools? GUN CONTROL. Schools/abortion/suicide didn’t shoot any of these kids–and I would bet that the Amish school isn’t one of those “godless” public schools teaching evolution.

He could have done that, instead of stringing together a bunch of unrelated right-wing talking points.

Oh, and BTW, go get your phone and call me back.

Posted by Marie on October 5, 2006 11:26 AM

Why do all sound so hateful and intolerant?

The man lost his son violently in a place where his kid should of been safe. Give him a brake.He deserves the right to speak his opinion.
Right wing Christian does not always mean closed minded fanatic. So much for tolerance.’My kids are in public school and are constantly being penalized by their teachers when they support views contrary to evolution and socialism. The facts prove that
there was an intolerance to Christians expressed by the killers at Columbine and you are adding to it. Please consider opening your minds a little to the possibility that the man is not evil for wanting to understand how such a horrific event can happen in America and most especially to his son.

Posted by Len Durst on October 5, 2006 11:38 AM

Brian R. was an honest, sincere man, speaking the truth.

I know we will seee much more of Brian, because many Americans are looking for the truth that they usually never see on the major, Anti-American, liberal networks.

Go Brian. You have upset the Uneducated, un-motivated Losers of America.

Posted by Russell McElroy on October 5, 2006 12:21 PM

Comment:
Brian Rohrbough was repeating what was stated by the Columbine Killers in their own words. These two killers believed that the theory of evolution(in their sick minds) gave them the right to kill the weaker in society. All he was stating is that lets teach two points of view in our schools.

Comment:
Why is he called Stupid for his beliefs which @50% of the people of the US believe are true. Why is he attacked for his beliefs in a Society where Freedom of speech is a right? IS Free Speech OK only if you agree with it?

Comment:
CBS contacted him and invited him to speak in a FREE SPEECH Segment. Why is this Wrong? I do not agree with everything that people say, but I will always defend the right of someone to be able to speak what they believe.

Comment:
Gun control….Do you really believe that people are not going to be able to get what they need to kill. Are we going to control fertilizer since that is what Timothy McVay used to kill in Oklahoma? This guy was seen by everyone as normal for 20+ years. He would have had no problem getting a permit to own a gun under any Gun Control Law and still would have killed these children.

Comment:
What a Great Country we live in that each of us can go on this website and type our opinion/belief/feelings without fear. If you do not agree with me….that is OK.
I just Thank God that we were all given the FREE WILL to believe what we want.

Posted by Tiffany on October 5, 2006 12:35 PM

What good will a brake do? Will it slow him down or stop him from making poor arguments on tv?

No one is saying that he doesn’t have a right to his opinion, but they are saying that they disagree with his opinion. Also, I don’t see where the original post called him evil–an idiot, crazy, divorced from reality, bible-thumping thug, yes–but evil is not there.

Guess what, Marie? Christian doesn’t always mean ignorant and anti-intellectual either, so supporting science like the explanation of biodiversity in our public schools doesn’t make someone intolerant of Christians or Christianity.

Also, I don’t think that Brian upset the uneducated or unmotivated in America–they are probably nodding along, content in their ignorance and unwilling to do more to engage society than watch television.

Posted by Tom Marker on October 5, 2006 12:44 PM

What I find enlightening is that the left preaches tolerance and acceptance until someone has a differing point of view than they do. And they call conservatives hypocritial!

Posted by Tiffany on October 5, 2006 1:00 PM

Honey, did you know that you’re “the left” now? And that you’ve been preaching tolerance and acceptance of poor arguments masquerading as points of view?

I didn’t.

You’ve got such a bunch of interesting folks posting today!

Posted by Rob hall on October 5, 2006 1:38 PM

Mr. Rohrbough speaks for the majority of American citizens. You people need to lay opff the Kool-Aid. I have never read so much idiotic garbage from so many cluless idiots in my life as I have on this blog. I will pray for you all.

Posted by Rob Hall on October 5, 2006 1:40 PM

One more thing. Mr. Rohrbough hit the nail on the perverbial head.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 5, 2006 3:14 PM

I really hope that these people, who don’t know the difference between the left wing, right wing, and middle, don’t work in the airline industry.

I also find it troubling that some many commenters don’t understand free speech and tolerance. (Hint: free speech does not mean free from criticism.)

If the majority of Americans agree with Rohrbough, then it should be easy to show a scientific poll of Americans which shows that the majority believe that evolution caused Columbine. (Whatever happend to video games? Did that lawsuit fail?)

Heck, just show me the section of the report from the Johnson County Sheriff where it concludes that Columbine could have been avoided if the psychopaths had not been taught evolution. Go ahead, find me the page number, give me a quote.

I really find it hard to believe that “the majority agrees with us” and “schools are permeated by leftist moral relativist nihilism” are logically compatible statements.

Posted by Tom Marker on October 5, 2006 3:59 PM

The father didn’t say evolution caused Columbine but he did say that the philosophy the theory espouses was firmly cemented in Harris & Clebold’s world view “survival of the fittest” as warped as they were they interpreted the theory that way and thus felt an entitlement in their carnage.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 5, 2006 5:07 PM

I watched Rohrbough on the O’Reilly Factor and O’Reilly—to his credit—actually gave Rohrbough a chance to say that the psychopaths of Harris and Cleobold were not driven by modern biology education, but Rohrbough reiterated his belief that they were driven to commit their crimes by belief in evolution. Rohrbough (and many of his supporters) do not seem to understand the difference between the rantings of a pair of psychopaths and our modern understanding of the biological world.

Now, I am curious to know if Rohrbough has any evidence that Harris and Cleobold were even taught about evolution in school, much less human evolution. Given the poor state of science education in this country, it is very likely that the two psychopaths had little if any science education dealing with evolution. Their writings about “natural selection” seem more influenced by video games and psychopathy than any biology education. E.g. human-mediated selection is “artificial selection” not “natural section”.

Also, could someone explain to me how murder/suicide is consistent with a philosophy of “survival of the fittest”?

Posted by Rob Hall on October 18, 2006 11:00 AM

I am sick of the word tolerant. Has anyome ever stopped to think what tolerating something is? It is defined as allowing behavior to occur even though it may have negative short and long term effects for the individual and those around them. “Teaching Tolerance” was a great tool of deception used by progressive secularists to push their own liberal agendas and too many of us fell for it. Teach compassion not tolerance because tolerance accepts the behavior while compassion does not tolerate the negative behavior but forgives the individual.

Posted by phantomadvantage on October 18, 2006 11:54 AM

You know its funny how you lot think its rerpehensible for people to attack cindy sheenhan but its perfectly okay to attack THIS GRIEVING FATHER.

Hypocrites.

In God we trust. Thats our nation’s motto. If you have a problem with that, go elsewhere. I’ll help you pack.

Good Day

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 18, 2006 12:14 PM

Wow, phantomadvantage, I’m so amazed that you can determine my “lot” after only one comment on my blog.

Grief is no excuse to lash out at strangers. When he goes on national television, seven years after his son’s murder, and blames people like me, hard working scientists and educators, for his son’s death, you think I should let the insult pass because he suffered a family tragedy? Grief doesn’t compel someone to appear on CBS. Where were you a couple years ago, when Rohrbough sued a dedicated cop for his son’s death; did you complain when he had to apologize for dragging the cop’s name through the mud?

We also have the motto E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One)—you know the one given to us by our enlightened founding fathers—but I guess some Americans simply don’t like the fact that there is diversity in our country.

Posted by Rob Hall on October 20, 2006 12:18 PM

Amen phantomadvantage.

By the way Cartwright You “hardworking scientists” don’t have a very good track record. Just one example: take a look at what passed for fact 30 years ago concerning the universe and see what you call fact today. Todays “factual science” is tomorrows fiction. The one true constant is Faith.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 20, 2006 2:02 PM

“The one true constant is Faith.” That’s a laugh. If faith is so constant, why are there hundreds of faiths in the US alone? Between all the schisms, reformations, and councils, it is obvious that faith is not constant. Churches can split over tiny and inconsequential theological points, like whether a widower pastor should date again. You are deluding yourself if you think there is such a thing as constant faith.

I always find it funny how anti-science people argue that the self-correcting nature of the scientific community is a bad thing. Sure science will get things wrong, but unlike most faiths science recognizes that it can be wrong and has developed methods for not only determining when it is wrong, but also determining how to fix itself. Science can learn from its mistakes; faiths tend to be ignorant about their mistakes. I’ll take learning over ignorance any day.

If you really think that scientists don’t have a good track record, then why are you using a computer? Do you not eat food grown by the modern agriculture industry or take medicines produced by the modern pharmaceutical industry? If you really think that faith has such a better track record than science, then Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Afganistan must be paradises to you.

I don’t think that you really want to compare the track records between science and faith.

Posted by Rob Hall on October 20, 2006 2:20 PM

Perhaps I should clarify. I meant that the one true constant is an individuals Christian faith. My faith is the constant in an ever changing world. As for the computer it is no different than the technology applied through innovative tools used to build the great churches and cathedrals throughout the world.

You are presumptuous to say that I am anti-science. However, the track record of scientists is a pale comparison to the constant of an individuals faith. I will argue that point anytime you wish.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 20, 2006 2:43 PM

If you believe that faith is constant, then I guess you must go to a church that doesn’t send missionaries to the “unchurched”. After all, if faith is constant then there is no reason to try to convert anyone because it can’t work. It seems to me that a concept of constant faith is not compatible with traditional Christian theology. Personally, I prefer to think that people can grow in their faith.

As an educator, I prefer students that can discover the answer to a question over students that prefer to repeat the same answer over and over again with the hope that in the end it will be correct. In fact, there is some interesting scientific research that finds that students who do poorly in class often do not realize that they are doing poorly. The same skills required for a student to evaluate his work, are the same skills required to do the work correctly in the first place.

Building computers and temples are similar. In both instances, people were using scientific principals and skills learned through experimentation. People don’t build temples by throwing a bunch of blocks together and praying that it will stay up. (Well, knowing humans, some have tried.)

And finally, insisting that the self-correcting nature of science is a bad thing is an anti-science position.

Posted by Rob Hall on October 20, 2006 2:44 PM

Cartwright. I am a public school educator (former high school teacher and basketball coach, high school principal and current district administrator) and I do not take offense at Mr. Rohrbough’s comments at all. I totally agree with them.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on October 20, 2006 3:04 PM

Rob,

You totally agree with his comments? Are you telling me that your schools in Kentucky have expelled God? That no students pray in school or say grace before they eat. There are no bible clubs, no fellowship of Christian Athletes. That students on your basketball team didn’t huddle up and pray before and after each game. Or that you, yourself, did not hold yourself up as a good Christian gentleman while in school.

I find that doubtful. All my experience with Georgia public schools, tells me otherwise. But maybe Kentucky is special.

Posted by Rob Hall on October 20, 2006 3:19 PM

Reed,

Now we are developing a true respectful discourse and by the way, congratulations on your doctorate.

In answer to your question which I am sure must have been rhetorical because since you have a doctorate I know that you already know the answer to your question.

Thanks to ACLUnatics (we have had their attorneys at our graduation exercises just waiting to sue if we pray and they are gunning for everything else that is Christian) it has been difficult. We have been in a war against evil ever since the Madeline Murray O’Hare decision handed down by a liberal secular progressive Supreme Court. They have demanded that God stay out of our business for so long now that He is obliging.

I will be off-line for the next week because I am going out of town however, I look forward to future debate.

Posted by CARLA EMALA on October 22, 2006 3:12 PM

WELL SAID BRIAN! FINALLY! WITHOUT PEOPLE KNOWING GOD‘S LOVE,,,THE WORLD FILLS UP WITH HATE. COULD YOU IMAGINE FOR A MOMENT,,, THAT EVERYONE BELIEVED IN THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE? THE OPPOSITE OF HATE—IS LOVE. AND THAT, MY FRIEND, WOULD INHABIT THE EARTH! WOW!!!